Nowadays, many airlines allow ferrets to travel in the cabin with their owners.
If you want to fly with your ferret in the cabin of the plane, you will have to ensure that you have an airline approved carrier.
Not only do airlines have very specific requirements when it comes to ferret carriers, you want to ensure that the journey is comfortable for your furry friend.
There is an abundance of ferret carriers to choose from, so we’ve put together a list of the top 7 on the market.
For information on the airline requirements, scroll down past the carriers.
7 Best Ferret Carriers for In-Cabin Travel
DadyPet Pet Expandable Soft-Sided Carrier
This soft-sided pet carrier is a brilliant choice for anyone who wants the best for their little VIP – very important pet! The DADYPET pet carrier is great quality and has lots of helpful features. With expandable sides and a cosy removable bed, your ferret will feel safe and secure in his/her new travel home.
This ferret carrier is versatile too, and comes with two connecting loop handles for balanced carrying and for functioning as a dual seatbelt/luggage strap for secure transport. There is also an adjustable shoulder strap for hands-free carrying.
SIZE: 45 x 33 x 28 cm
WEIGHT: 1.72 kg
- Expandable – 65% expandable! Unzip one side of the carrier to give your ferret nearly double the space to stretch.
- Multiple doors – access your ferret through a rooftop door as well as a front door.
- Breathable material – both doors and the expandable sides are made from a breathable mesh to allow your ferret plenty of ventilation.
- Flatpack – flat folds to store under your bed, wardrobe, or your suitcase when not in use.
- Comfortable floorboard – padded fleece base with rigid board is comfortable and supports your furry friend.
- 2 storage pockets – large pocket to store treats, bowls and toys, among other things.
Mr. Peanut’s Double Expandable Airline Approved Soft Sided Pet Carrier
This Mr Peanut Pet carrier has received a multitude of positive reviews, and for good reason. It is a popular choice, made with the owners and ferrets in mind. The removable soft fleece base and breathable mesh windows makes ferrets feel secure and comfortable on their journeys. Additionally, the expandable sides give ferrets extra room to stretch out while they travel.
It’s lightweight and easy to carry with two short straps and a long shoulder strap if you need to go handsfree. Furthermore, it’s durable and folds flat so you can store it away when not in use.
SIZE: 39.9 x 23.6 x 21.6 cm
- Expandable – unzip four sides to create lots of extra room for your ferret.
- Multiple doors – with zippers on both top and sides, your furry friend can be accessed easily.
- Breathable material – lots of mesh windows to allow plenty of ventilation.
- Rigid floorboard – make ferrets feel steady if the carrier is jostled about.
- Removable pet bed – the cozy fleece bed can be removed and machine-washed.
- Waterproof exterior – made from a waterproof material to protect your ferret in all weather conditions.
- Flatpack – folds down flat so it is easy so store when not in use.
- Lockable zipper – no need to worry about your ferret escaping this carrier.
Kaka Mall Waterproof Fabric Padded Soft-Sided Pet Carrier
The Kaka Mall pet carrier is a stylish option for those who are looking for something a little cheaper! It is a little simpler than other carriers, without expandable sides, however, it certainly doesn’t lack comfort and quality.
With a long strap as well as two short straps, you can carry it handsfree if you wish. Additionally, there are storage pockets on the side to keep treats, food and bowls, among other things. It’s also lightweight, durable, and folds flat so you can hide it away when not in use. If you’re not a fan of pink, don’t worry, there are many colours to choose from!
SIZE: 41.5 x 20 x 29 cm
WEIGHT: 680 g
- Durable – strong hooks to connect the comfortable padded sling shoulder strap. A long life.
- Breathable – made from a breathable mesh material to allow your ferret lots of ventilation.
- Removable fleece cushion – comfortable bed to keep your ferret cosy is also removable and machine washable.
- Multiple doors – doors on both sides of the carrier so you can easily access your ferret. There is also a convenient zipper window to check up on him/her.
- Storage – multiple storage pockets on the sides of the carrier for food, treats, bowls and other things.
- Waterproof – made from a nylon waterproof material to protect your ferret in all weather conditions.
- Flatpack – folds flat so it is easy to store when not in use.
Petsfit Lightweight Fabric Pet Carrier
This Petsfit ferret carrier has been designed to keep your pet feeling protected, secure, and comfortable. It has received amazing reviews from happy customers who have praised the quality and value for money. Your ferret can rest comfortably on your flight as the carrier comes with a removable fleece bed, which also provides him/her with support.
The ferret carrier comes with two arm straps, two connecting loop handles for balanced carrying and for seat belt/luggage strap for secure transport, as well as a long shoulder strap to go handsfree. You can also choose from two different colours.
SIZE: 41 x 25 x 27 cm
WEIGHT: 798 g
- Expandable – easy to unzip four sides to create extra room in the ferret carrier. Allows your ferret to move around more comfortably and reduces the anxiety of confinement.
- Multiple doors – with zippers on both top and side, your little friend can be put in and out of the carrier easily.
- Breathable material – mesh ventilation on three sides not only provides adequate airflow, but also easy viewing-perfect for your pet to look out and for you to check on your pet.
- Rigid floorboard – your ferret will feel steady when the carrier is jostled about.
- Reversible bed – the base has a reversible mat which has warm fleece on one side and a cooling water polyester on the reverse.
- Waterproof exterior – fabric is a little water resistant but is also washable to keep the crate nice and clean.
- Flatpack – comes with a durable powder coated steel frame and can be folded down when not in use.
AmazonBasics Black Soft-Sided Pet Carrier
Help your pet arrive safely and in style with this AmazonBasics soft-sided pet carrier. Designed to keep your pet protected, secure, and comfortable, the sleek, all-black pet carrier works well when travelling by plane or car or for routine trips to the vet.
Don’t be fooled by the price, although it is cheap it doesn’t lack quality and durability! The carrier provides two connecting loop handles for balanced carrying and for functioning as a dual seatbelt/luggage strap. An adjustable shoulder strap comes included for hands-free carrying.
SIZE: 43 x 24 x 25 cm
WEIGHT: 1.07 kg
- Breathable material all around – mesh ventilation on all four sides not only provides adequate airflow, but also easy viewing.
- Rigid floorboard – removable base insert, which creates a solid surface for your pet to stand on.
- Removable, machine-washable base – the fleece bed offers a cosy sleeping space for your travelling ferret.
- Lightweight – weighing only 1kg it’s easy to carry.
Petsfit Fabric Foldable Backpack Pet Carrier
Each side features a window made from breathable mesh material, so your ferret won’t feel claustrophobic.
SIZE: 43 x 32 x 29 cm
WEIGHT: 1.6 kg
- Handsfree – go handsfree and carry your ferret on your back with padded adjustable shoulder straps and a chest strap to help secure the backpack.
- Multiple doors – rooftop door, as well as a front door so you can easily access your furry friend.
- Breathable material – all doors are made from a breathable mesh material, and each side of the carrier features a mesh window.
- Flatpack – folds flat so you can store it away at home or at the hotel.
- Scratch-proof – no need to worry about your ferret carrier getting damaged.
- Tether – no need to worry about your ferret escaping, as there is a tether inside the carrier.
Pro.Tec 2 in 1 Trolley AND Backpack Carrier
If versatility is what you are after, this may be the carrier for you! Not only can you carry this ferret carrier on your back as a backpack, it also features 4 scrollers so you can wheel it along as well.
The Pro.Tec 2 in 1 is made from a sturdy, breathable material so your ferret can feel secure and comfortable. Furthermore, it features 2 side pockets to store everything you need for your journey.
SIZE: 46 x 39 x 30 cm
WEIGHT: 3 kg
- Handsfree – go handsfree and carry your ferret on your back with padded adjustable shoulder straps and a chest strap to help secure the backpack.
- 4 wheels – no need to worry about carrying the weight of the ferret and the carrier, wheel them along instead!
- Breathable material – the mesh windows and door allow plenty of ventilation.
- Lockable zipper – no need to worry about your furry friend escaping and causing havoc on the plane.
- 2 storage pockets – plenty of storage space for ferret food, treats, toys, anything you need for your travels.
Guide to Choosing The Best Cabin Approved Ferret Carriers
As mentioned earlier, different airlines have specific requirements when it comes to which ferret carriers they allow on their planes.
Furthermore, you want to ensure that your ferret is as comfortable and stress-free on your flight.
Here’s some guidance on how to choose the best carrier for your ferret.
What features MUST ferret carriers have?
#1 Adequate Size.
Your ferret’s carrier must be large enough so that he/she has enough space to stand up, sit down, lie down and turn around without restriction.
However, it can’t be too big! Airlines have specific restrictions when it comes to the size of ferret carriers.
The specific dimensions differ between airlines, but generally the carrier must be able to fit underneathe the seat in front of you.
Scroll down to check the specific size restrictions of some major airlines.
Most airlines will ask that your ferret carrier is leak-proof.
Thus, if your ferret has any accidents, then there mustn’t be any leakage through the bottom of the carrier.
For the obvious reasons.
Firstly, you don’t want your ferret causing any trouble. Even if your ferret is normally an angel, some ferrets may get stressed on a flight.
Secondly, you want your ferret carrier to last you more than one trip! You want to make sure you select a carrier that is durable and can withstand a few bites and scratches.
Again, for the obvious reason – your ferret needs oxygen to survive.
During the flight, your ferret carrier will need to be placed under the seat in front of you. Therefore, the walls and doors must be made from a breathable material that will allow your ferret enough air.
Most airlines require that your ferret’s carrier has at least 2 well-ventilated sides.
What features are RECOMMENDED for ferret carriers?
Being cooped up in a carrier for hours isn’t an ideal situation for most ferrets.
There are many ferret carriers on the market have expandable areas, to allow for extra space to stretch. Your ferret will definitely appreciate a carrier with this feature!
While you are waiting in the airport, or in transit, you can give your ferret a larger space to run around and stretch in. If you have enough room on the plane, you could even expand the carrier during the flight.
#2 A hard base / floorboard.
By this, we mean a base that is rigid and won’t turn into a hammock when picked up.
Not only will a hard base will be far more comfortable for your ferret, it’s also more convenient for you too.
It means that your ferret carrier would be easier to clean. You can just remove the base and wash it separately. Many of them are machine washable.
Stressed ferrets, or those out of their comfort zone are more prone to scratching and biting.
Therefore, you will want a carrier that can endure the wear and tear of travelling.
Although you might have to spend some extra money on a quality ferret carrier, it will be worth it in the long run.
#4 Lockable Zippers.
Imagine your ferret on the loose in the airport or on the plane – stressful right?!
Some ferrets can be masters of escape, so lockable zippers are ideal to prevent any airplane dramas!
#5 Multiple Doors.
Many ferret carriers have multiple doors, usually on the front and on the rooftop.
This is far more convenient as you can access your ferret from two different locations. This is especially useful when on the plane, when the carrier is tucked away under your the seat in front of you.
#6 Soft Material.
Soft sided ferret carriers have a lot of advantages over hard-sided carriers.
Firstly, they tend to be lighter and easier to carrier.
Additionally, they are often flatpack and foldable so you can easily store them away when not in use.
Another reason is that they are more widely accepted among airlines. You’ll most likely be able to fit them on more airlines. Some airlines actually don’t allow hard-sided carriers.
Airline’s Carrier Requirements For Cabin Travel
Here are the ferret carrier requirements for the most pet-friendly airlines that allow ferrets in their cabins.
Many airlines have different requirements for soft crates and hard crates.
Additionally, it’s important to note that some airlines have different requirements for specific flight paths or aircrafts.
Thus, we recommend that you double check the requirements for your specific flight.
Click on the airline names to be directed to their pet policy websites.
|Soft Crates (L x H x W)||Hard Crates (L x H x W)||Weight Restriction|
|United Airlines||46x28x28 cm||44x30x19 cm||N/A|
|American Airlines||Depends on flight||Depends on flight||<9kg (ferret + carrier)|
|Alaskan Airlines||43x28x24 cm||43x28x19 cm||N/A|
|Jet Blue||43x31x21 cm||43x31x21 cm||<9kg (ferret + carrier)|
|Southwest Airlines||43x34x21 cm||43x34x21 cm||N/A|
|Delta Airlines||Depends on flight||Depends on flight||N/A|
|Vueling||45x39x21 cm||Not permitted||<8kg (ferret + carrier)|
|Europa||55x35x25 cm||55x35x25 cm||<8kg (ferret + carrier)|
|Aeroflot||sum of all dimensions <126cm||44х30х26 cm||<8kg (ferret + carrier)|
|Aegean Airlines||55x40x23 cm||55x40x23 cm||<8kg (ferret + carrier)|
|TUI||55x40x20 cm||Not permitted||<6kg (ferret only)|
|Lufthansa||55x40x23 cm||55x40x23 cm||<8kg (ferret + carrier)|
Travel Tips & Preparing Ferret Carriers
#1 Familiarise your ferret with his/her carrier.
You want the flight to be as stress-free as possible for your ferret.
Try to purchase your carrier weeks before your flight, and your ferret get used to the carrier so that they feel a little at home in there.
Leading up to your trip, let your ferret play and sleep in the carrier.
Lure him/her into the carrier with plenty of treats, and fill it with their favourite toys and blankets.
Furthermore, you could even do some practice trips. Pop your ferret in his/her new carrier and go for a drive in your car, or take a walk to your local cafe for some lunch.
#2 Pack your ferret’s favourite blanket and a toy.
For the same reason as #1, to ensure your ferret feels as comfortable as possible in his/her carrier as possible.
#3 Line the bottom with an absorbant material.
The majority of airlines require that your ferret’s carrier is leak-proof and lined with an absorbant material.
Puppy training pads are perfect as they are highly efficient, lightweight and thin.
#4 Label your ferret’s carrier.
Attach a label including your ferret’s photo, name, your name, contact details and address.
This way, if your little friend was to go missing, then he/she can find their way back to you.
#5 Try to exhaust your ferret the day before travel.
A sleepy ferret will be less prone to getting stressed out.
Have some extra play sessions 24 hours leading up to your flight.
#6 Check the weather.
If you are travelling during hot weather, pack a few frozen water bottles with you. They can be used to cool the carrier down, and provide a drink.
On the other hand, if you’re flying during cold weather, pack a couple extra blankets to ensure your ferret doesn’t get chilly.
#7 Pack extra food and water.
Pack some extra food and water, in case your flight is delayed. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.
The best ferret carriers have storage pockets, so you can pop them in there.
Ferret owners who are flying with their furry friends want the journey to be as stress-free as possible, for you and your ferret!
Having the right ferret carrier is an important part of ensuring your ferret feels comfortable and secure.
There are lots of ferret carriers on the market, so just be sure to look at the size, comfort, weight capacity, ease of use, strength, security and durability.
Additionally, follow our travel tips to guarantee your ferret is as happy as possible on your flight.
Hope this has been helpful and that have found the perfect carrier for your ferret.
Happy travels! 🙂